GameMaker is a popular program that allows you to create cross-platform and multi-genre video games. It uses drag-and-drop visual programming to create simple games, while the Game Maker Language scripting language can be used for more complex projects.
GameMaker was initially designed to allow novice developers to create computer games without much knowledge in the field of programming. Still, today it contains tools that will enable professional developers to work with it.
The program has an intuitive interface from which you can manage all stages of game development. To use this program, however, you will need first to study the manual, but once you master all the settings, developing games will be easier and faster.
GameMaker is primarily intended for making games with 2D graphics, allowing out-of-box use of raster graphics, vector graphics, and 2D skeletal animations, along with a sizeable standard library for drawing graphics and 2D primitives. While the software allows for limited use of 3D graphics, this is in the form of vertex buffer and matrix functions and, as such, is not intended for novice users.
The free version of GameMaker allows you to port the created games only to the Opera GX.games gaming platform. A subscription also provides to port built projects to Windows PCs, macOS, Ubuntu, Android and iOS mobile devices, consoles and other devices. Also, in the paid version, you can buy separate modules that expand the program’s functionality.
Game Maker is an excellent engine for creating a 2D game without programming experience. If you have such knowledge, the program offers many functions that you will find analogues in other engines. The free features of the software allow you to use all its power, but you will have to pay for the ability to port the result of your work to popular platforms.
|Updated:||November 29, 2022|
|Available languages:||English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish…|
Below are the links to download GameMaker for Windows and macOS for free. In addition to the latest version, there may be links to download previous versions. Choose the distribution you need and download it. All links are direct and checked for malicious inclusions.
- Download GameMaker 2022.11.0.54 exe (110,84 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.11.0.54 pkg (149,38 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- November’s 2022.11 release brings the ability for you to pick which bits of your runtimes you wish to download (allowing for smaller install sizes and less time downloading after a new install/update) and the ability to use GameMaker offline if you’re signing-in with an Opera Account. The Image Editor has been changed to paste clipboard items as a new layer in your image rather than as a brush attached to the mouse cursor, the Room Editor has several more new in-game filter effects for you to use, and the Code Editor has several new features for creating strings and formatting numbers. Pinch-to-zoom has been re-implemented also for all suitable editors.
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.1.51 exe (112,73 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.1.51 pkg (149,04 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.0.49 exe (112,75 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.0.49 pkg (148,9 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
Download the installer for the operating system you want, run it, and follow the installer’s instructions. To use the program, you must register and enter your data for authorization.