GameMaker is a popular program that allows you to create cross-platform and multi-genre video games. It uses drag-and-drop visual programming to create simple games, while the Game Maker Language scripting language can be used for more complex projects.
GameMaker was initially designed to allow novice developers to create computer games without much knowledge in the field of programming. Still, today it contains tools that will enable professional developers to work with it.
The program has an intuitive interface from which you can manage all stages of game development. To use this program, however, you will need first to study the manual, but once you master all the settings, developing games will be easier and faster.
GameMaker is primarily intended for making games with 2D graphics, allowing out-of-box use of raster graphics, vector graphics, and 2D skeletal animations, along with a sizeable standard library for drawing graphics and 2D primitives. While the software allows for limited use of 3D graphics, this is in the form of vertex buffer and matrix functions and, as such, is not intended for novice users.
The free version of GameMaker allows you to port the created games only to the Opera GX.games gaming platform. A subscription also provides to port built projects to Windows PCs, macOS, Ubuntu, Android and iOS mobile devices, consoles and other devices. Also, in the paid version, you can buy separate modules that expand the program’s functionality.
Game Maker is an excellent engine for creating a 2D game without programming experience. If you have such knowledge, the program offers many functions that you will find analogues in other engines. The free features of the software allow you to use all its power, but you will have to pay for the ability to port the result of your work to popular platforms.
|Updated:||March 14, 2023|
|Available languages:||English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish…|
Below are the links to download GameMaker for Windows and macOS for free. In addition to the latest version, there may be links to download previous versions. Choose the distribution you need and download it. All links are direct and checked for malicious inclusions.
- Download GameMaker 2023.2.1.75 exe (173,22 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2023.2.1.75 pkg (174,2 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- The 2023.2 release brings support for a new particle editor inside the IDE, which you can now use to create your own particle systems and add them into the room editor or your sequences, so they appear in-game as you designed them and you can set behaviours such as triggering other systems when the current one ends. There are also a selection of example effects available to choose from. Because this is an entirely new asset type which older IDEs and runtimes have no knowledge of, if you open or create any project in this new release it will not work in older GameMaker releases. If you think you might need to use an older IDE version again in future (SDK compatibility for a released game, for example), then please do ensure you backup your project first and also read these notes carefully.
- Download GameMaker 2023.2.0.71 exe (173,21 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2023.2.0.71 pkg (174,19 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2023.1.1.62 exe (111,86 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2023.1.1.62 pkg (152,6 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2023.1.0.58 exe (111,85 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2023.1.0.58 pkg (152,55 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.11.1.56 exe (110,85 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.11.1.56 pkg (148,94 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.11.0.54 exe (110,84 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.11.0.54 pkg (149,38 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.1.51 exe (112,73 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.1.51 pkg (149,04 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.0.49 exe (112,75 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.9.0.49 pkg (148,9 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.8.1.37 exe (112,73 MB) [Windows 7+]
- Download GameMaker 2022.8.1.37 pkg (149,06 MB) [macOS 10.14+]
Download the installer for the operating system you want, run it, and follow the installer’s instructions. To use the program, you must register and enter your data for authorization.